The year 2016 being over and done with, here are some things I’ve learned over the last 365 days.
- The child who is always first to class will always be the first to class even if she arrives 30 seconds after class was supposed to start.
- Some children speak very softly. Others are very loud. There is no in between.
- If you want to feel old, explain to a ten-year-old what the Soviet Union was. Bonus Old (Wo)Man points if you happened to be in Europe on November 9, 1989. (I was in Czechoslovakia in the summer of 1989 and again in 1990; the difference was like night and day.)
- Lectio divina can be done with children. Just not very much of it.
- Children remember stories long after they have forgotten facts.
The picture? That is my view of the world on Saturday afternoons. I’m part of the choir that provides sacred music for the 4:00 p.m. Saturday Masses.